Bart de Zwart was appointed as Professor of Real Estate at Hanze University of Applied Sciences in 2021. His research focuses on exploring futureproof scenarios for real estate in a societal context. This includes developing attractive inner cities, sociable neighbourhoods, flourishing business areas, innovation districts and cultural hubs, as well as high street regeneration, heritage transformation, placemaking and sustainable area development.
Throughout these research subjects there are five recurring themes:
- Transformation and improvement of the existing inventory
- Comprehensive and area-oriented approaches
- Sustainable business models
- Engaging communities and occupiers
- Inclusiveness and ethics of the real estate profession
In his work, Bart tries to connect research, education and practice. He aims to inspire students, lecturers and researchers, as well as public sector and business professionals to embrace practice-oriented research as a powerful tool for creating regional social impact. Bart believes that real estate deals with place rather than space.